Facebook Badge

Monday, May 14, 2012

FIRST, THE GOOD NEWS - CHAPTER XVII (Part 1)


CHAPTER XVII
We Shall Overcome
 
 
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything..."
(Colossians 3:22 - NIV)


It's always so interesting to me to see the way that things turn out when you're in the flow of your gift.                                                                                                                                                              

I should have finished this book months ago, but, in my defense, it's been quite an eventful year so far, and I've had a lot going on in my life to distract me from writing, to say the least.                                                                                                                                                            

I won't go into detail, but trust me when I say that I've had more than enough on my plate of late, and the resulting circumstances have demanded that I fill so many different roles that the "author" one has sort of been necessarily put on the back burner again and again.                                                                                                                                                           

As a result, the book has pretty much evolved through "fits and starts", as they say, and at least twice I just decided to scrap it, altogether, as I've already revealed in a previous chapter.                                                                                                                                                        

I have entertained the thought at certain times that, because it is taking so long to get it done, maybe this was just supposed to be nothing more than my own (un-published) personal journal, written solely for my own catharsis.                                                                                                                                                      
At this point in my journey, most of the deluge of hate-mail and general antagonism from the religious community that I was once dealing with has pretty much died down (or died off), the homophobia-induced exodus from my church is apparently over, and I'm personally the happiest and most internally peaceful that I've been since I can remember. I say that to explain that much of the personal impetus for writing this to begin with is now a moot point.                                                                                                                                                            
And everyone tells me I'm much nicer now than I used to be, whatever that's about, so I have thought on occasion that perhaps the writing had served its purpose.                                                                                                                                                       
To give you some perspective on the creative time-span, there have not only been major shifts and changes in my public life/ministry during the course of this writing, there has also been significant transition in my personal life. I was single when I started writing this, and then I was in a relationship for about a year, and then I was single for about seven or eight months, and now (at the time of writing this chapter) I'm about two months into another (much better) relationship.                                                                                                                                                 
As a result of all that has been going on with me and with the church, I have actually gone for months without writing a single thing for the book.                                                                                                                                                            
And when you work like that it's easy to lose momentum...and perspective...on your project.                                                                                                                                                         

But every time I start to think that maybe the book isn't for publication, something seems to always happen that sort of serves as a cosmic kick in the pants, and gets me back into the game.                                                                                                                                                           

When I began forming the ideas and themes for the book, I wrote out a Table of Contents as an outline of all the chapters that would cover everything I wanted to talk about here. One of the chapters was to be about racial issues, as they pertain to the subject matter contained in these pages (by the way, I haven't forgotten that the book is about GOOD NEWS!), and so I wrote out the title for Chapter 17: "We Shall Overcome".                                                                                                                                                  
                              
I've been staring at that title for months, with no real inspiration to attach a chapter to it, and had decided as of last week just to go ahead and publish it as is, with only 16 chapters (the original plan was/is for 21).                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
But that was last week.

This week there is suddenly an abundance of inspiration and a million things to say in this chapter.

Of course I won't get to all 1,000,000 things, but I now at least know why I've waited until now to write this chapter.

My steps are definitely ordered.

(to be continued...)




3 comments:

  1. Oh you big, fat tease!!!! I thought you were going somewhere exciting with THIS post!!!! Damn you!! :)
    I am glad you're back to writing. And I must say, you certainly look happy! There could be a little green envy in this post from me. :) But it would be very little. You have certainly earned being happy!
    And I am happy FOR you!!!
    Love your guts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the paragraph where you have been told you are nicer than you used to be Bishop. I had to smile. I have not known you to be not nice, and I think it is funny in a good way to hear that you have been told that.

    As you have become more transparent, authentic in what used to make you tremble, that is bound to happen. Those nearest you will experience your Peace that passes understanding, with Joy and Righteousness. The trifecta available to ALL.

    I am blessed to know that you have that. This is the whole point, for you, and for everyone. To see the impact of foolish thinking of others, and social constructs dissolve one more time, opening to the Love that is, that stands above ALL, or better said within ALL.

    That dissolving, the clanging cymbals and noise of what 'others' think determining personal experience becomes moot. God is the sole tune then, real, authentic, happily enjoying the joy in each who comes through. Halelujah !!! Every time that happens, another Angel get's their wings.

    It is a pleasure to see. A dear friend of mine that we have been estranged for various reasons, has recently gone through something similar, and I am blessed that we are not estranged now, again, the clanging and noise has become moot. This is happening in many lives, as people see the chains of religion dissolve in their lives.

    Godspeed Bishop. Enjoy in peaceful righteousness. I am always a fan of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be so glad when I can hold a copy of this book in my hand, with its brilliant observations, vulnerable insights, and honest truth in print and all in one handy volume. Remember, dear BFF, this book is not only for you and your catharsis, it is for the world, to set the captives free on both sides of the issue, and it is for ME . . . . Love, all LOVE! Your Brother-by-another-Mother

    ReplyDelete